Sunday, March 25, 2012

3/25/12 - Starting a Successful Building 2.0

After finally coming to a conclusion on creating buildings by finding out how easy it is to move files from Blender to Unity, I started making my first sophisticated building.  This week I was looking for a good tutorial to help me build a good building.  It was very frustrating.  I googled it and could only a few actual good sources that helped me.  Another problem was that some of the sources only showed how to create a specific building: like how one site showed how to create the trump tower in Chicago using an image.  Another problem was that some of the sites would only have instructions for very advanced users of Blender and it seemed like they had been using it for years.  Me, being a beginner could not follow much of what they were saying so I decided to not use it.  I expected this but I was sure I could find at least one tutorial that would help with simpler instructions.   After searching for a while I decided to stop because I was not getting any work done.  Instead I looked back at the two websites that I had used to start with in my first blog post.  After looking through the wiki page wikibook page for blender, I could not find any such tutorial.  But, in the blenderguru site I was able to find a great 2 part tutorial that started from the basics: http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/high-rise-building.
So I was off.  The guy doing the tutorial had obviously been very experienced with Blender, but he broke it down very well so I can understand.  The end product also looked very good and professional.  I started mirroring every move he made in the tutorial.  Since I am more of a beginner, I was only able to get to the part where he created the building and made the balconies by indenting the building.  This point was at the 7 min mark in the video.  I am going way slower than him, but I am making more progress on a good building that I have with any other tutorial so I will be sticking to this. I am excited to continue working on this part of the project.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an awesome tutorial! I watched the first 7 minutes (to where you said you got to), and was delighted to get a quick feel for how blender works.

    Good work finding it, and have fun using it. I look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete